CONTRACTS have been signed for the new Glór na Mara National School and work has begun at the site in Tramore.
The school, which has more than 400 pupils, has been spread across two buildings on opposite sides of a road, since the amalgamation of the Star of the Sea and Edmund Rice schools back in 2000.
The extension and refurbishment was approved by the Department of Education in 2006 but the funding has only now been accessed.
As part of the project, a new extension building will be delivered, which will accommodate the school’s growing needs, providing 12 new classrooms, a library and resource area, general purpose room, special education tuition rooms, and offices.
The project also includes refurbishment works to the existing school building which will see the upgrading of five classrooms, a new staff room, a multi-purpose room, special education tuition rooms and an enlarged and improved site entrance.
There will be a new internal road network, external ball courts, a junior play area, and car parking.
Waterford-based Architects, C.J. Falconer and Associates are the design team and local Building Contractor, Tom O’ Brien Construction Ltd, aims to have the work completed by February 2021.
Glór na Mara’s story dates to 1866, with the founding of the girls’ school by the Religious Sisters of Charity and the boys’ school by the Christian Brothers.
The founding of the schools was made possible by a donation of £2,000 for each school by William Carroll, a native of Tramore.
The current buildings are still on the original sites, overlooking the bay of Tramore.
The two traditions were amalgamated in 2000 and became Glór na Mara.