HERITAGE Blue Plaques, which are a distinctive feature of the landscape of Waterford city, are becoming part of the streetscape of the county’s towns and villages.
The latest commemorates a doctor who worked tirelessly for the people in Famine times.
It has been unveiled at Coach House Coffee at The Workhouse, Kilmacthomas, and honours Dr. John Coghlan, the distinguished humanitarian.
John Patrick Coghlan was born at South Lodge, Co. Tipperary in 1804, the second of nine children. He arrived in Dungarvan in 1832, as a dispensary doctor, transferring to Kilmacthomas in February 1833. He was to serve the community for 40 years, winning their deep appreciation and respect as a highly regarded medical practitioner.
At the outbreak of famine, he advocated for a fever hospital in Kilmacthomas, serving as its medical officer when it opened. He also championed the workhouse and infirmary, which opened in 1851.
This accomplished physician was also a great humanitarian, who was deeply concerned about the welfare of those entrusted to his care.