These adorable bunny butt cupcakes by Siúcra and Catherine Fulvio are the perfect treat for Easter and springtime baking. Almost too cute to eat and super easy to make, the kids will love getting involved in the kitchen during the Easter school break.
Bunny Butt Cupcakes
Makes 12 medium orange and carrot flavoured cupcakes
For the cupcakes
- 120g Siúcra Caster Sugar
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Pinch nutmeg
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 70g grated carrots
- 1 medium orange, zest and juice
- 170g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 60ml milk
For the butter cream:
- 180g butter, softened
- 350g Siúcra Icing Sugar, sieved
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Green colour paste
For the bunny tails
- Siúcra Roll Out Icing Sugar
- Pink colour paste
- Edible glue
- Disposable piping bag and a multi hole nozzle for piping the grass
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/Gas 4. Line a muffin tray with medium size cupcake cases.
- To make the cupcakes, place the Siúcra Caster Sugar and butter, cinnamon and nutmeg into a mixer for whisk for to 3 to 4 minutes until pale and fluffy.
- Pour in the beaten eggs and whisk until just mixed.
- Add the grated carrots, orange zest and juice.
- Fold in the flour and baking powder. Pour in most of the milk until a soft batter forms.
- Using 2 spoons, neatly scoop the mixture into the cases and bake for about 15 to 18 minutes. They should be risen, golden brown and when a skewer is inserted into the middle it should come out clean. Allow to cool completely before decorating. The cupcakes should be level.
- To make the buttercream, cream the butter, icing sugar and vanilla in a mixer. Add enough green colour for the grass.
- To pipe, spoon the buttercream into the piping bag fitted with a grass tip nozzle. Pipe the grass over the top of the cupcakes.
- To make the bunny tails, roll a piece of the Siúcra roll out icing the size of a €2 coin into a ball and flatten the one side – this is for the body and place it in the grass. Roll out a much smaller piece of Siúcra Roll Out Icing for the tail. Secure it on with a little edible glue.
- Make two bunny feet, small oval shapes. Colour a piece of Siúcra Roll Out Icing Sugar pink for the pads on the feet and make one a little larger than the other three. Place them in position using edible glue.
- Now secure the feet into position as well. Repeat for all the other cupcakes.
Visit www.siucra.ie for our full list of seasonal and child-friendly recipes.