With the school year ending, help your teacher to celebrate the arrival of summer with Siúcra x Catherine Fulvio’s tasty Teacher’s Ginger and Orange Biscuits.
This sweet treat is quick to make, as well as a fun and unique way to thank your hard-working teacher. Top off this delicious recipe with individual and personalised icing designs!
For the biscuits
- 120g softened butter
- 80g Siucra light golden-brown sugar
- 120g plain flour
- 50g cornflour
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 orange, zest only
For the icing
- 300g Siucra icing sugar
- 2 to 3 tbsp water
- Food colouring
Siucra roll out icing flowers, to decorate
To personalise, additional Siucra icing sugar and water or lemon juice
To make the biscuits
- Whisk the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Fold in the plain flour and cornflour, ginger and orange zest to form a soft biscuit dough.
- Wrap in parchment and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface and shape into biscuits or use biscuit cutter.
- Transfer to the baking tray and baking for 16 to 18 minutes depending on the shape and size of the biscuit.
- Leave on the tray for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. The biscuits must be completely cold before icing them.
To ice the biscuits
- Prepare the icing by adding the Siucra icing sugar into a bowl and add just enough water to form a thick paste. Add the colouring of your choice.
- Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a fine nozzle.
- Pipe around the edge of the biscuit and them add in the centre. Leave to dry completely before decorating with Siucra roll out icing flowers.
- To personalise your biscuits for teacher, mix some more Siucra icing sugar and a little water or lemon juice to form a thick paste. Place a fine nozzle into a piping bag and add in the icing mix. Then write or draw flowers on the iced top of each biscuit.
- Pack them up in pretty boxes ready for gifting to teacher.