A PROPOSED radical local plan for Tallaght town centre will see the town transformed in the coming years. The proposed draft plan was launched by South Dublin County Council last week, and has gone to public consultation.
Locals will have the opportunity to have their say on an area that includes Tallaght Hospital, Tallaght Stadium, Technological University Dublin (TUD), South Dublin County Council and the head office of the Dublin and Dun Laoghaire Education and Training Board.
Also within the area of the Tallaght local area plan is Whitestown Industrial Estate, Tallaght Business Park and Broomhill Industrial Estate.
There are a number of proposals including:
- Delivery of between 3,000 and 5,000 new homes
- Delivery of a mix of new employment spaces
- Development of Tallaght Stadium’s Fourth Stand
- Redevelopment, enhancement of the Square Shopping Centre
- Provision of cycling and pedestrian infrastructure links
- Provision of new schools
- Improvements to the street network including extensions to Airton Road and Cookstown Road
- Enhancement of existing green spaces
- Creation of a network of public open spaces
- Development of new transport interchange at the Square
- Enhanced bus services across the centre
- District heating system (HeatNet)
Plans in the next two decades include between 9,700 to 12,800 new homes, a population of up to 38,000 people within the LAP lands and additional non-residential floor space which could accommodate an additional 4,700 to 12,800 jobs.
See https://consult.sdublincoco.ie while consultation is open until Thursday, October 24.