A COHORT of Dublin’s great heroes have been presented with National Bravery Awards. The civilians and Gardai were honoured at the ceremony at Farmleigh House in the Phoenix Park for acts including falling from a bridge while attempting to save someone’s life and fighting off a burglar who assaulted a man as he arrived home.
Ceann Comhairle Seán Ó Fearghaíl presented the 20 recipients with their Certificates of Bravery. There were also six Bronze Medals for Bravery awarded, while another six recipients received Silver Medals for Bravery.
The annual honours are awarded by Comhairle na Míre Gaile – the Deeds of Bravery Council – which was founded in 1947 to recognise exceptional Acts of Bravery. The council is chaired by the Ceann Comhairle and includes the Cathaoirleach of an Seanad, the Lord Mayors of Dublin and Cork, the Garda Commissioner, the President of the Association of City and County Councils, and the Chairman of the Irish Red Cross.
The Ceann Comhairle said: “The National Bravery Awards give us an opportunity to celebrate the courage of our emergency services and people who risk their own safety to protect their fellow citizens.
remind us of our duty of care to one another
“It is important to recognise the sacrifices made by people whose selflessness can serve to remind us of our duty of care to one another.
“It is an honour to present these 20 Bravery Awards, including the posthumous award, and I thank all for their courage.”
The Dublin recipients were:
- Retired Garda Desmond Brennan Certificate of Bravery
- Aonghus O’Briain Certificate of Bravery
- Michael Hempenstall Certificate of Bravery
- Garda Donal Tully Certificate of Bravery and Bronze Medal
- Garda David Currivan Certificate of Bravery and Bronze Medal
- Garda Cathal McGeoghan Certificate of Bravery and Bronze Medal
- Garda Seán Breheny Certificate of Bravery and Silver Medal
- Garda Darren Blackwell Certificate of Bravery and Silver Medal
- Sergeant Gavin Coleman Certificate of Bravery and Silver Medal
- Garda M.J. Carroll Certificate of Bravery and Silver Medal
- Garda Jason Walsh Certificate of Bravery and Silver Medal