Landlords get €770,000 for social housing

Sinn Féin TD Martin Kenny

PRIVATE landlords in Carlow have been given more than €770,000 since 2016 to provide dwellings for social housing.

In the Dail, Sinn Féin TD Martin Kenny asked the Minister for Housing, Eoghan Murphy TD, about the number of private houses that local authorities were renting and subletting as social housing by local authority. He asked too about the annual cost of renting these houses in each of the years 2016 to 2018 and to date in 2019, by the local authority.

Minister Murphy’s figures revealed that Carlow County Council had 36 such dwellings in 2016; 39 in 2017; 42 last year and 41 in the first six months of 2019. The total amount paid by the council in respect of properties made available under lease or availability agreements between private owners and local authorities over the same period, showed that Carlow County Council paid €186,271 in 2016 to private landlords for such arrangements; €277,394 in 2017; €248,688 last year and €60,870 to date in 2019. The total paid to private landlords since 2016 in Carlow came to €773,223.

commitment to deliver 50,000 new social housing homes

Minister Murphy said: “The Government has set out an ambitious set of targets for the delivery of social housing in the period to 2021 in its Rebuilding Ireland Action Plan.

“A commitment to deliver 50,000 new social housing homes through a range of delivery mechanisms is being supported by a multi-annual Exchequer commitment totalling €6.5 billion over the period of the plan.

“These targets will be achieved using a combination of building, purchasing and leasing high quality properties to meet the needs of households on local authority waiting lists around the country,” the Minister said.

“Of the 50,000 social housing homes to be delivered under Rebuilding Ireland, 10,000 are targeted to be leased by local authorities and approved housing bodies under leasing arrangements from a range of different sources.

“Long term lease arrangements, including the enhanced lease, of privately owned dwellings can be entered into and the local authority or AHB acts as the landlord to the tenant,” the Minister said.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.